Posted By: hstincanada
Date: 2010-01-29 10:07:23
Canadian

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:45 am

We shuould all fight the HST unfortunately as a society we lack the intestinal fortitude to really hold our government accountable.....if we want better people representing us we need to recall those who are incompetent first!!

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:57 pm

If we as a society had any fortitude we would not let First Nations have any treaty rights. Everyone would pay the same taxes, and follow the same rules regardless of race or religion.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:59 pm

KorbenDeck KorbenDeck:
If we as a society had any fortitude we would not let First Nations have any treaty rights. Everyone would pay the same taxes, and follow the same rules regardless of race or religion.

R=UP

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:53 pm

KD if we had any moral fibre as a society we never would have put Natives on reserves with crappy resources, we would have brought them into our cities and towns and allowed them to adapt to our way of life.

Unlike the US we chose to make peace with the Natives instead of going to war and i am glad to see them fight for something that is right and worth fighting for.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:58 pm

$1:
KD if we had any moral fibre as a society we never would have put Natives on reserves with crappy resources, we would have brought them into our cities and towns and allowed them to adapt to our way of life.
On one hand I totally agree that the way it is now only serves to ostracize them. However you're assuming that's what they want. They don't. They want their reserves.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:36 pm

they want status quo, they play the willing victim a bit to well. I say cut up every treaty card and get rid of the department of discrimination uuuu I mean Indian affairs.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:53 am

stokes stokes:

I am aware of no law that keeps Indians on reserves. In fact many do live in our cities. "Allowing them to adapt to our way of life?" What are you, a dirty assimilationist? That is anathema to the Indian victims industy. What we're supposed to do is move all the mod cons and jobs to their reserves, so they can live in their tradtional way, in their nation, but with all the benefits of modern society.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:16 am

This will backfire on Aboriginal reserves. If they lose, they will have to pay the HST like everyone else. But if they win and avoid the new tax, a bigger race gap will be created between Aboriginals and non.

They would have been better off to make contacts with the business community and fight the HST for all Canadians. At least more people would have stood behind them but it appears to be a counter productive self self self. Next time some band should higher a media relations expert before they say anything.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:26 pm

I don't know how it works there, but if I perform a service or deliver goods onto a reserve, it's tax exempt.
If Joe Native comes in my store, which isn't on a reserve. it's "here's the fucking receipt, claim the tax back yourself".

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:44 pm

This is not true.

Those who claim you want natives in your cities are talking nonsense. We know damn well that most Canadians don't like natives.

If Natives were 20% or even 60% of the total population you would all be screaming for extra segregation (cough*South Africa* cough).

Just a reminder, Native Americans in the USA live in the same squalid conditions as they do in Canada, they make up 0.3% of the total population so nobody gives a shit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:52 pm

Why are they complaining about a tax that they're exempt from paying in the first place?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Why are they complaining about a tax that they're exempt from paying in the first place?

HST means they will now no longer be PST exempt.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 pm

CommanderSock CommanderSock:
Lemmy Lemmy:

But they're still Income Tax exempt and tax exempt on everything that they they smuggle, right?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
CommanderSock CommanderSock:
Lemmy Lemmy:

But they're still Income Tax exempt and tax exempt on everything that they they smuggle, right?

Not quite.

There's lots of misconception about natives' rights.

Its all a numbers game. If there were 30m of them I bet we wouldn't be having this conservation since they would be setting the tax policy.