canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:16 pm

Title: Some asylum seekers who cared for patients in pandemic to get permanent residency
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2020-08-14 10:11:48
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:16 pm

Good. People willing to put their lives at risk helping others are the type of people that Canada needs. Although I do have a question. Were these people promised permanent residency for putting their lives on the line or did they do it without knowing they'd be granted permanent residency because like it or not that does make a difference.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:36 am

Why does that matter? They put their lives at risk in order to help others. Is that not the kind of Canadian we want?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:32 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Why does that matter? They put their lives at risk in order to help others. Is that not the kind of Canadian we want?

Don't get me wrong if these people did this without the promise of reward then I have no problem with them being fast tracked to citizenship. But, it makes a very large difference if they were coerced into doing something with the promise of that as a reward.

People who only act altruistically when it benefits them personally aren't the type of people we want as new Canadians especially since we already have an overabundance of that type of Canadian running around the country now.

But since you seem to feel it's okay to fast track these people to citizenship for doing the right thing when some Canadians wouldn't then, how should we reward the military personnel who were drafted unwillingly into the hell holes of the Quebec nursing homes or how about all the home care workers who stayed at their posts and got sweet fuck all for it except sick?

Coercing someone into doing dangerous things besides being unethical doesn't send the right message about the type of immigrants we want as citizens especially when our own people were doing the exact same things for nothing but, empty accolades from politicians, the media and regular people putting hearts on their windows.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:37 am

I guess we shouldn't praise the military because they get paid. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Don't get me wrong if these people did this without the promise of reward then I have no problem with them being fast tracked to citizenship. But, it makes a very large difference if they were coerced into doing something with the promise of that as a reward.

People who only act altruistically when it benefits them personally aren't the type of people we want as new Canadians especially since we already have an overabundance of that type of Canadian running around the country now.

But since you seem to feel it's okay to fast track these people to citizenship for doing the right thing when some Canadians wouldn't then, how should we reward the military personnel who were drafted unwillingly into the hell holes of the Quebec nursing homes or how about all the home care workers who stayed at their posts and got sweet fuck all for it except sick?

Coercing someone into doing dangerous things besides being unethical doesn't send the right message about the type of immigrants we want as citizens especially when our own people were doing the exact same things for nothing but, empty accolades from politicians, the media and regular people putting hearts on their windows.

Pfft. Did you do YOUR job altruistically without the promise of reward? Does anyone?

I don’t think it matters but FWIW it seems they were working there first:

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/0 ... care-homes

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.cp24.c ... 56342.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:22 pm

"Service Equals Citizenship"? Seems the civilized thing to do. Who are we to argue with Starship Troopers anyway? :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:35 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

If they were coerced, they we should be looking at refugee officials that would force such a choice, not the asylum seekers offering to do it.

Refuge in Canada doesn't come with those sorts of conditions.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:51 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Pfft. Did you do YOUR job altruistically without the promise of reward? Does anyone?

I don’t think it matters but FWIW it seems they were working there first:

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/0 ... care-homes

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.cp24.c ... 56342.html

Your the expert so you tell me what I got out of my military service besides missing almost every important event in my families life due to being deployed, a broken body, the necessity to fight with every consecutive gov't because they apparently "have no legal obligation to take care of veterans" and the ignorance of a majority of Canadians who have no idea what the military is really about other than what they heard from their uncle Bob who served back in WWII or what they saw watching the Last Detail and Saving Private Ryan.

So the short answer to your question is yes, we got rewarded. And, that reward was to be grossly underpaid for the amount of time we spend on the deck plates and had the privilege living in an environment that could kill or injure you the first time you made a mistake.

Does the term "shot at and missed, shit on and hit" mean anything to you? But to be honest the biggest reward we got wasn't financial or even the largess given by some uncaring gov't wog. It was the knowledge that we were part of something important that a vast majority of Canadians would never deign to do because it would interfere with their nice safe comfortable lives.

So, which is more ethical. Coercing someone to do something dangerous by promising them a very large reward or, forcing someone to do the same thing with no option and no reward other than what they normally receive.