bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:50 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Lemmy has suggested that tough guys use harder fabric straps which just isn't the case. A quick look at any recent pictures of guys like McGrattan and Orr, you'll see they're wearing the standard u-straps on their helmets.

Yeah, it is the case. Whenever I officiated a Senior A or Junior B or C game, we'd check the players in warmups to see who'd replaced the U-straps with skate laces so we knew who to keep a closer eye on during the game. When you've refereed 1000 or more Senior/Junior games then you can tell what is and what isn't the case. There's a hell of a lot more fighting in Senior A than in any pro game.

But that's not what you said.

You said:

$1:
NHL players who fight a lot replace the rubber straps (that just snap in) with cloth ones that go through the helmet hole and are tied.

Most NHL tough guys don't alter their chin straps or u-straps. A quick look at any recent images from any NHL tough guys will show that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:54 am

I'll admit I haven't skated a Junior or Senior game in a couple of years. Maybe they make the rubber straps better than they used to.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:09 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
I don't feel like having my face used as a punching bag.

But that's exaclty what you do every time you argue with me.

:lol: :rock: XD [drool] [B-o] :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :cry: :| :x :oops: :o :) :( :D

Oh. Burrrrrrrrn!!!!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:03 am

I've never played, coached or anything but watched hockey. Now if the helmets are of simular make as football helments they are easy to take off someone. You don't see it that much because it is far easier to grab the face mask and jerk the A-hole around and punch them in the gut and wrench the hell out of their neck.

I'm still not sure why some of you are saying this kid got what he had coming to him. This was not a hockey fight this was a brutal beating, the type you see in street fights and muggings.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:
I don't feel like having my face used as a punching bag.

But that's exaclty what you do every time you argue with me.

:lol: :rock: XD [drool] [B-o] :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :cry: :| :x :oops: :o :) :( :D

Oh. Burrrrrrrrn!!!!

Just a shame your reach is so short, otherwise you might impress !

[B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:18 pm

stratos stratos:
II'm still not sure why some of you are saying this kid got what he had coming to him. This was not a hockey fight this was a brutal beating, the type you see in street fights and muggings.

No one's saying he deserved what he got. What they're saying is that he started the altercation and deserved some measure of retribution for snowing the goalie. There are certain things that players do that are provocation. They're done with the intention of stirring up shit, and snowing the goalie is one of those. It's like standing at home plate and admiring a homerun. You're asking for a fastball in the back next time up.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:31 pm

I guess charges where laid after all.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... arges.html

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
No one's saying he deserved what he got. What they're saying is that he started the altercation and deserved some measure of retribution for snowing the goalie. There are certain things that players do that are provocation. They're done with the intention of stirring up shit, and snowing the goalie is one of those. It's like standing at home plate and admiring a homerun. You're asking for a fastball in the back next time up.

Yes, the Woodstock player deserved a push, a light cross check, a hook or a tripping. Beating him into the ground is not the sort of thing he "deserved". I understand the reluctance to swear charges against the Brantford player, but the beating he threw down certainly exceeds the sort of rough altercations one normally consents to when playing hockey.

You can consent to throw fists, you can't consent to having a fang knocked out or a concussion suffered.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:58 pm

He had already been checked to the ground, he was on his knees and was clearly not defending himself or fighting back... he may have been an ass for "snowing" the goalie, but he didn't deserve the beating.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:59 pm

He snowed the goalie. It's not like he went all Ulf Samuelsson or Matt Cooke and took out the goalie's knee forever or elbowed him in the head. I'm all for the brat players getting their wheels beat off every once in a while but trying to kill the guy for the equivalent of squirting someone with a water pistol is taking it way too far. The kid who did the beating shouldn't just be criminally charged, he should also be kicked out of all of hockey for the rest of his life.

Don Cherry called it a long time ago and he's still right. There's way too much over-reaction the ice these days. From this this sort of incident to Todd Bertuzzi crippling someone for life to practically every one-on-one fight being interrupted by a third-man-in, over-reaction to too many incidents is out of control. Like Don says, you never saw this in the old days where, except in the most extreme of incidents, the guys would keep everything one-on-one and honourably stop when the other player was clearly beaten.