bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
$1:
The Tories' Trudeau fears aside, this was a good story for them: Most Canadians would agree that an MP charging speaking fees to charities is just wrong. And for Trudeau to do that — even though he now is willing to pay back some of the money — made him look bad.

But by perpetuating the story in this manner, the Conservatives have made a bad news story about Justin Trudeau into a bad news story about themselves.

PMO caught pushing the Trudeau speaking engagement story

Yea, that totally means they cooked up the story. :lol:

It's just inconvenient for people like you because it's all true and has horrible optics for JT. It doesn't matter who pushes the information out there....the more info about this out there will hopefully stop other greedy MP's from taking money from charities.

Did you want to try another angle to deflect?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:25 pm

I really have to wonder what's going on with the Tories. it's not like them to be so clumsy and amatuerish with this stuff.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:26 pm

$1:
We shouldn't be so naive to think that this sort of thing doesn't happen in politics — at all levels by all parties — all the time.

But it's only bad when the Conservatives do it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:43 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Yea, that totally means they cooked up the story. :lol:

It's just inconvenient for people like you because it's all true and has horrible optics for JT. It doesn't matter who pushes the information out there....the more info about this out there will hopefully stop other greedy MP's from taking money from charities.

Did you want to try another angle to deflect?

Not great for JT--charging charities for public speaking while you're an MP. Not quite good cricket whatever the ethics commissioner said.

But the Conservatives overplayed their hand. Not quite good cricket to have taxpayer-funded PMO staff secreatly working on partisan issues either. Given that Justin is still on his honeymoon, and Harper is in the third-term doldrums, I'd say the Conservatives will be lucky to get out of this one with a draw.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
But the Conservatives overplayed their hand. Not quite good cricket to have taxpayer-funded PMO staff secreatly working on partisan issues either. Given that Justin is still on his honeymoon, and Harper is in the third-term doldrums, I'd say the Conservatives will be lucky to get out of this one with a draw.

Says you, hardly an unbiased/non-partisan opinion.

For the average Joe, talk at the watercooler isn't about how the story came out, it's about the story itself.

How to story came out is news to people interested in politics like you and I but for the average Canadian, it's not even on the radar.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

And because it's in the media, it's on the radar of Canadians?

So naive. So partisan.

Walk outside and ask anyone if they've heard about the JT story...if they answer yes, ask them how the story got leaked. Nobody will know...or care.

It's the same with the Rob Ford crack video....the majority of the public don't give a shit about who introduced the story or why, they care about the story itself.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:49 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
And because it's in the media, it's on the radar of Canadians?

So naive. So partisan.

Walk outside and ask anyone if they've heard about the JT story...if they answer yes, ask them how the story got leaked. Nobody will know...or care.

It's the same with the Rob Ford crack video....the majority of the public don't give a shit about who introduced the story or why, they care about the story itself.

And because the Trudeau story is in the media, it's on the radar of Canadians? What's your point? Why one and not the other?

It's another cynical attack that has blown up in their faces. Rightly so.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:20 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
bootlegga bootlegga:
Public speaking is hardly a conflict of interest. It's not like he's buying stocks based on a future budget or something, organizations across the country are paying him to talk to people so they can fundraise. In most cases, it's a win-win for both parties. This time it didn't and a board member from the charity (not the charity itself) complained.

A board member, part of the team that runs the organization put the story out after JT dodged them for 4 months.

How would you feel if a Conservative MP was taking 20k to speak to union groups? Conflict of interest?

As long as he/she wasn't involved in legislation that affects unions, then no, it isn't.

For the third (and final) time, what someone does in their off hours should be irrelevant to their employer as long as it is legal and is not a conflict of interest.

In this case, it was relevant and JT should have returned the money, along with an apology to Canadians for skipping out of work.

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
bootlegga bootlegga:
This one is nothing more than an effort to distract people from the Conservatives current Senate scandal and from the 'throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks' department.

Pure BS. I guess everything is a distraction when the Liberals fuck up and it's mentioned in the media. :lol: Keep in mind, one of your boys is in balls-deep in this scandal too (the worst offender to date)....but if that's mentioned, you and the rest of the lefties will start crying "deflection".

No, it most definitely is.

Who mentioned this in the Question Period? The Conservatives. Who does the board member support? The Conservatives. This is ALL deflection by them. The NDP only jumped on it because they thought it might knock some wind out of JT's sails and put them back in second place in the polls.

Look at your own recent posting history. When the Duffy/Wallin thing exploded, what did you do? Post an article on Mac Harb, then admit you felt that his part in the scandal had been glossed over and you were just 'bringing it to light' for the rest of us. Your own partisanship here is nothing more than a blatant copy of Conservative Party strategy, but hey, whatever.

If you don't like what you see when you look in the mirror, then perhaps it's time for a change... :wink:

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
bootlegga bootlegga:
If you weren't so deep into your glass of blue koo-laid, you'd see that. But through your blue coloured glasses, everyone else here is highly partisan and you're just another concerned citizen. Whatever...

Face it, you'd be all over this story if it was a Conservative MP....like Mike Duffy on a Smartie...but it's not....so you'll cry deflection like the rest of the lefties.

Wrong again. The only thing I ever said about the whole Senate scandal was that ALL of them deserve to be kicked out, regardless of party affliation. I also said that Harper's CoS paying Duffy's bill looked shady.

But if any Conservatives are out there speaking for money (and I have little doubt that there is at least one or two doing so), then as far as I'm concerned, they can keep doing so (as long as it meets the criteria I've already noted).

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:32 pm

So this is the spin now ?

Sure the Liberal Leader takes money from charities for speaking, that ain't great. But the PM is worse because he forwarded the information revealing it and the sanctity of the PMO's office has now been molested.

oh lord the humanity

Lets say it happened, so what.

He's still the leader of the Conservative party, and is using his resources to politik. Oh my, who does he think he is a politician ?

Get back to us when a non politicians information gets compromised by the PMO's office. Maybe get the ethics commisionar to look into it. If it's ok for an MP to take money from charities that likely receive provincial/federal subsidies, should be no problem with the PMO's I'd think. But not holding my breath.

We're suppose to believe a phone call from the PMO's office took place to a liberal paper and the said "Don't tell anyone ?" when they could of sent it to a friendlier news source or anonymous send via other means.

I'd also think the reporter who's claiming this should have a recording of it, don't all journalist record everything.

You guys crack me up, I meant crack as in funny not crack, nor crack pipe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:30 pm

You think other parties don't politik, oh my, Chretien did it so I guess the CPC should quit emulating the Liberals.

Funny how the media develops some kind of a conscience when it comes to reporting on the Liberals, but don't mind what anonymous sources they use if it's to bring down a conservative.

But wait, does this mean he’s not going to give the money back now…

Wasn’t Trudeau the Liberal Education Critic when he accepted money from public educational institutions.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Bodah Bodah:

Sure the Liberal Leader takes money from charities for speaking, that ain't great. But the PM is worse because he forwarded the information revealing it and the sanctity of the PMO's office has now been molested.

oh lord the humanity

He's still the leader of the Conservative party, and is using his resources to politik. Oh my, who does he think he is a politician ?

Get back to us when a non politicians information gets compromised by the PMO's office. Maybe get the ethics commisionar to look into it. If it's ok for an MP to take money from charities that likely receive provincial/federal subsidies, should be no problem with the PMO's I'd think. But not holding my breath.

We're suppose to believe a phone call from the PMO's office took place to a liberal paper and the said "Don't tell anyone ?" when they could of sent it to a friendlier news source or anonymous send via other means.

I'd also think the reporter who's claiming this should have a recording of it, don't all journalist record everything.

The PMO staff is paid for by the taxpayer, not the Conservative party. So if you are going to out Trudeau for moonlighting on his MP gig, maybe you should do it in such a way that you don't have taxpayer-funded staff moonlighting as partisan political workers.

"The reporter should have a recording"? WTF are you talking about? Did you even read any of the articles?

And finally, despite OTI's protestations to the contrary, people are sick of skullduggery and cynicism by the Conservatives. If they weren't Trudeau would be twisting in the wind right now. But the ploy has apparently backfired.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Bodah Bodah:

oh lord the humanity

The PMO staff is paid for by the taxpayer, not the Conservative party. So if you are going to out Trudeau for moonlighting on his MP gig, maybe you should do it in such a way that you don't have taxpayer-funded staff moonlighting as partisan political workers.

"The reporter should have a recording"? WTF are you talking about? Did you even read any of the articles?

And finally, despite OTI's protestations to the contrary, people are sick of skullduggery and cynicism by the Conservatives. If they weren't Trudeau would be twisting in the wind right now. But the ploy has apparently backfired.

So Trudeau and Mulcair pay for their staff out of their own pocket...WTF who knew. Where do you think the daily shit on Harper comes from?

"HOW DARE THEY amount an attack on Trudeau!!!" :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:21 pm

jj2424 jj2424:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Bodah Bodah:

oh lord the humanity

So Trudeau and Mulcair pay for their staff out of their own pocket...WTF who knew. Where do you think the daily shit on Harper comes from?

"HOW DARE THEY amount an attack on Trudeau!!!" :P

"I can put my finger in my nose."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Bodah Bodah:

oh lord the humanity

Oops. Looks like somebody missed that point. :lol:

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 277 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10 ... 19  Next