Posted By: Strutz
Date: 2023-06-30 14:21:03
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:25 pm

This is hilarious. I don't have a twitter account, never have, but I do go in for interest and giggles to read some. Oh well, those days are done. Next thing is Musk will charge all users a fee and the checkmark thing won't matter anymore.

Waiting on Facebook to join in on the fun...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:20 pm

It's like he's trying everything possible to run Twitter into the ground. He just was wants his own right-wing echo chamber. Hope the $44b was worth it...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:43 pm

It'll take a chunk out of my daily internet travels as there were a couple dozen accounts I regularly check in on but it's no big deal. I asked them to reinstate my old account (that got frozen when I told a Cowboys For Trump idiot running for Congress that I hoped he'd get kicked right between his legs by his horse) via email. But they steadfastly refuse to do it any other way except by text message, and I don't have a phone*, so to hell with that method.

Whatever. If this new "exclusive" idiocy where an outsider isn't even allowed to see what's going on ends up accelerating Twitter's rush to self-destruction then so be it. The more of these platforms and sites that collapse the better it is for society in general.

* believe me, life without a phone isn't merely great - it's actually totally fucking awesome [B-o]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:36 pm

Thanos Thanos:
* believe me, life without a phone isn't merely great - it's actually totally fucking awesome [B-o]

I am jealous. My sister is right up stairs, and she texts me a dozen times a day. I want to smash my phone every time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:10 pm

When I cave in and have to get one it will be a flip phone. They're still available new for less than $10 a month. Until then snail mail and email is the only way to find me. wOOt! :mrgreen:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:30 pm

xerxes xerxes:
It's like he's trying everything possible to run Twitter into the ground. He just was wants his own right-wing echo chamber. Hope the $44b was worth it...

$44 billion is just fuck you money for Elon. I think he had some ideas on to how to fix it but now he sees it as too hard to do. So if he can’t have it no one will and that for him is still a win.

Yes, this hurt him far more than he expected but he is still getting what he wants here.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:26 am

Thanos Thanos:
It'll take a chunk out of my daily internet travels as there were a couple dozen accounts I regularly check in on but it's no big deal. I asked them to reinstate my old account (that got frozen when I told a Cowboys For Trump idiot running for Congress that I hoped he'd get kicked right between his legs by his horse) via email. But they steadfastly refuse to do it any other way except by text message, and I don't have a phone*, so to hell with that method.

That's stupid. Just like the "services" that insist you must have their freaking app on your phone. I don't do those.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:44 am

Strutz Strutz:
Thanos Thanos:

That's stupid. Just like the "services" that insist you must have their freaking app on your phone. I don't do those.

They only do that so they can tie your phone number to your email address, which helps to target advertising toward you. It also helps to tie your group of friends together, when they lift your phone number from their address book.

I won't give them either bit of information.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:49 pm

While it’s a good thing that less people use Twitter, it’s wild that it’s the owner of Twitter that’s making it happen.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:42 am

The only tinge of regret I have is that now the Twitter posts that I have in my bookmark library might not be accessible anymore unless I log in through something like Facebook. Then again, I might just be able to use the Internet Archive.

Otherwise, I find nothing but some grim amusement at Twitter's collapse. In between Internet pile-on mobs, amplifying the loudest and most demented public voices to make everyone associated with them look bad and allowing violent hate and protest groups to coordinate their actions, Twitter can go piss up a fucking rope for all I care.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:18 pm

Strutz Strutz:
Thanos Thanos:

711 is now doing the same thing. Their newly-revised Rewards cash-in site now makes a member provide a phone number for a confirmation code and the email address alone is no longer acceptable. For some reason know only to people in tech sending that confirmation code number to the email address provided just apropos anymore. This means I've got over 15000 points now stranded that I can't use.

Don't know why this is the new way of doing things, where either email or phone number were perfectly fine in the past but is now verboten and has to be both. Maddening, but nothing can be done, as it's getting more and more obvious with every passing year that the corporate group-mind is getting stronger and they simply do things like this just because some other company before them did.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:58 pm

More apps on your phone = more data to harvest from you.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:45 pm

Not sure what they'd learn about me from my 711 details, other than that I'm a Monster Pipeline Punch addict. 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:48 pm

Scape Scape:
xerxes xerxes:

$44 billion is just fuck you money for Elon. I think he had some ideas on to how to fix it but now he sees it as too hard to do. So if he can’t have it no one will and that for him is still a win.

Yes, this hurt him far more than he expected but he is still getting what he wants here.

Not sure it's fuck you money when he had to take investment from saudis to do it.