canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 am

Title: New bill cuts energy efficiency agency, ends cabinet approval of oilsands projects
Category: Provincial Politics
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2020-06-12 07:11:52
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 am

$1:
On Thursday morning, while holding a news conference on Bill 22 � the Red Tape Reduction Implementation Act � Hunter had difficulty explaining details of his own piece of legislation.

The bill is huge. It makes changes to 14 pieces of legislation in six different ministries. It would, among other things, allow oilsands projects to go ahead without cabinet approval, scrap Energy Efficiency Alberta, and allow all Canadians � not just Albertans � to purchase public land.

However, when journalists questioned Hunter on why he was making these changes, he seemed stumped. He told reporters to ask the affected cabinet minister for an answer. That would have been fine if there had been other cabinet ministers at the news conference. But we only had Hunter.

He tried to explain that scrapping Energy Efficiency Alberta would be offset by the continuation of another agency, Emissions Reduction Alberta. But reporters wanted to know if efficiency agency's programs, which include green technology loans, would be cut.

Hunter didn't seem to know: "The minister of environment and parks will be bringing forward those initiatives and so whatever initiatives he'll be bringing forward you'll have to ask him about those."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.5608955

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:56 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
$1:
On Thursday morning, while holding a news conference on Bill 22 � the Red Tape Reduction Implementation Act � Hunter had difficulty explaining details of his own piece of legislation.

The bill is huge. It makes changes to 14 pieces of legislation in six different ministries. It would, among other things, allow oilsands projects to go ahead without cabinet approval, scrap Energy Efficiency Alberta, and allow all Canadians � not just Albertans � to purchase public land.

However, when journalists questioned Hunter on why he was making these changes, he seemed stumped. He told reporters to ask the affected cabinet minister for an answer. That would have been fine if there had been other cabinet ministers at the news conference. But we only had Hunter.

He tried to explain that scrapping Energy Efficiency Alberta would be offset by the continuation of another agency, Emissions Reduction Alberta. But reporters wanted to know if efficiency agency's programs, which include green technology loans, would be cut.

Hunter didn't seem to know: "The minister of environment and parks will be bringing forward those initiatives and so whatever initiatives he'll be bringing forward you'll have to ask him about those."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.5608955

Oh, I'm sure Hunter knows exactly what is next, he's just too scared to say it publicly because of the backlash he'll face.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:14 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Oh, I'm sure Hunter knows exactly what is next, he's just too scared to say it publicly because of the backlash he'll face.

And rightly so. The UCP seems to be going one way, and everyone else the other.

Polls show they would win another election, if held now, but more than half don't want Kenney included.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:34 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Polls show they would win another election, if held now, but more than half don't want Kenney included.

And that's because the ones getting polled think that Kenney is a wimp, and not "tough enough" in the same manner as Dear Leader in the US. That's how far Alberta's devolved in a very short amount of time. :|

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:46 am

Thanos Thanos:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

And that's because the ones getting polled think that Kenney is a wimp, and not "tough enough" in the same manner as Dear Leader in the US. That's how far Alberta's devolved in a very short amount of time. :|

That makes me sad. I was hoping it was because they were waking up to his [knight]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:59 am

Naw, they think he's a pussy, especially because he took COVID seriously and did the right thing for the most part with the lockdowns, etc. It's full brain-dead conservatism on display, with that one rotten-to-the-core dry-drunk piece of shit at the SUN papers (I won't say which one because I don't want to give him more clicks from those wanting to look up his columns to see what he said) actually calling people who wear masks and are worried about opening up to soon as cowards.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:03 pm

Nice. :( Cowards because we want to keep other people safe.

I thought the Sun would tone it down now that it's owned by the Journal. Guess I was wrong about that too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:24 pm

I'm amazed that Postmedia lets something like that go on at their properties. Seriously, it's as ridiculous as some of the nonsense put on display on right-wing Twitter in the US.

As for Alberta I fear for this province for the first time ever. Even more so given that I'll never have the money to leave if things get really bad. And not just economically-bad. We're already there and probably won't ever get out of it. I mean spiritually-bad, with that sort of cruel sneer typical to American evangelical conservatism becoming the dominant feature of Alberta conservatism. I don't want to be here if this place becomes MAGA Jr. And where does someone like me have left to go to anyway, considering how contemptuously my province has been treated by the rest of this country? It's a no-win scenario in every direction. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:32 pm

Thanos Thanos:
I'm amazed that Postmedia lets something like that go on at their properties. Seriously, it's as ridiculous as some of the nonsense put on display on right-wing Twitter in the US.

As for Alberta I fear for this province for the first time ever. Even more so given that I'll never have the money to leave if things get really bad. And not just economically-bad. We're already there and probably won't ever get out of it. I mean spiritually-bad, with that sort of cruel sneer typical to American evangelical conservatism becoming the dominant feature of Alberta conservatism. I don't want to be here if this place becomes MAGA Jr. And where does someone like me have left to go to anyway, considering how contemptuously my province has been treated by the rest of this country? It's a no-win scenario in every direction. :|

Come to BC brother. We’d be happy to have you. [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:35 pm

Not when the mere sight of an AB license plate now leads to a car getting vandalized. :|

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:42 pm

xerxes xerxes:
Thanos Thanos:

Come to BC brother. We’d be happy to have you. [B-o]

Saskatchewan would welcome you too. No vandalism either!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:46 pm

Got any decent jobs left for burnt-out old wash-outs like moi? :wink:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:31 pm

NDP freaks out over something, something. Must be a day ending in "y."

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:35 am

Yea, heaven forbid the official opposition should oppose anything.