GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:53 am

I hope he's right

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:09 am

I hope so, but I doubt it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:14 am

I know there's at least 3 seats here in BC that the Libs held by less than 1000 votes and I can't see them holding them again. Every election has given us more and more seats and I can see nothing the Libs are doing will change that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:16 am

They got rid of Dion, that has to count for something. I wouldn't write them off quite yet.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:37 am

I don’t think there’s a hope in hell of anyone getting a majority. The Conservatives haven’t earned it. The Liberals haven’t offered anything to earn it.

That said, I doubt Ignatieff will pull the plug on the first chance he gets, and I don’t expect to see the Liberal platform until he does. Harper has already begun his “coalition” fear mongering, and an almost desperate declaration that he NEEDS a majority (that we weren’t supposed to hear……..).

The polls are irrelevant until the plug gets pulled and both parties’ platforms hit the street. Harper is already on the attack, and I still think that’s going to bite him in the ass. Ignatieff is a smart guy, and I’m sure he realizes he’s only going to get one chance to depose Harper. He’s going to bide his time as long as possible.

Excluding anyone doing anything profoundly stupid and Ignatieff getting his act together I’ll bet on a very slim Liberal minority win. Of course with what has come out of Ottawa over the past few years, I won’t put any money on it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:47 am

If the opposition has stated they can not support this parliament Harper just has to talk to Jean. He can pull the plug himself and demand a mandate and given this I can see him getting it. There are more then 3 seats Harper can get in BC if they put some people in that can make a respectable run. Layton and the NDP are going to get torn to shreds in this election, people may not be sold on Harper or Iggy but the NDP vote is going to evaporate in this election and those seats will likely swing for Iggy in Ontario.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:53 am

$1:
Harper has already begun his “coalition” fear mongering, and an almost desperate declaration that he NEEDS a majority (that we weren’t supposed to hear……..).

Harper has a 'secret agenda' to get a majority?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:53 am

Why do you think the NDP will be losing out here? Sadly, NDP ridings are usually filled with fanatic party faithfull who are resigned never, ever, EVER to be in control.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:02 am

The NDP here are safer then Ontario but even they could be put into play with the right candidates. The problem with the Cons in BC is they are running on the brand alone and not much else, people want to support... if they have a decent choice but for the last decade the picking have been slim. The NDP are in real trouble in Ontario.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:08 am

Scape Scape:
The NDP here are safer then Ontario... The NDP are in real trouble in Ontario.

Your not being clear here. Do you have an example of ridings you expect to go from NDP to Lib?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:13 am

A majority? How? He's going to get wiped out in Quebec and propbably lose more seats in the Maritimes, so any gains he might make in Ontario will be offset by that. Even if he gets a seat or two in BC, he'll still be a minority government.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:14 am

Hamilton east, London-fanshwe, Algoma and both Thunderbay ridings comes to mind.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:14 pm

The conservatives would have easily won a majority last year, but they lost out big time in Quebec.

The polls showed that every time Harper was in Quebec, his ratings went up. And every time he went elsewhere, his ratings in Quebec went down.

Its difficult to campaign against Duceppe, when he only has to travel about 1 province.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:28 pm

Im just sick of this minority bullshit, Im not the biggest Harper fan but I hope he gets it so we can have an more effective government again.