Category: Political
Posted By: ridenrain
Date: 2009-09-09 09:50:05
Canadian

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:13 am

No matter where she runs, all she does is help the others running against her.

Until they find a new leader the Green Party will go nowhere. It is impossible to take this woman seriously at a time where they are trying to portray themselves as a serious alternative with serious platforms.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:21 am

I was wondering if the current Liberal leader will choose to not run a candidate against her, like they did last time.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:47 am

May is a joke, but she might have picked the right riding to "drop in" on this time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:27 pm

What did we do in BC to deserve Elizabeth May? Born rich, brought up privileged, another lawyer.

I'll say this for Stephen Harper (from his wiki page)

$1:
He is the first prime minister since Lester B. Pearson not to have attended law school.

(Although he is an economist, which is not much higher on the "removed from reality" scale.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:56 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
(Although he is an economist, which is not much higher on the "removed from reality" scale.)

I just got my economics degree and I'm taking a year off before going to law school :-/

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:59 pm

EdwardRI EdwardRI:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

I just got my economics degree and I'm taking a year off before going to law school :-/

So should we wait until you finish or can we start calling you bad names now? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:28 pm

You can start now.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:30 pm

EdwardRI EdwardRI:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Well you'll find some good company in policy-wonk land! It would be fine if economists stuck to delaing with economic issues and lawyers stuck to law, but for some reason, bot professions feel ideally suited to senior political advisory roles and politics, where they are both horribly over-represented.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:35 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Well you'll find some good company in policy-wonk land! It would be fine if economists stuck to delaing with economic issues and lawyers stuck to law, but for some reason, bot professions feel ideally suited to senior political advisory roles and politics, where they are both horribly over-represented.

I like money too much to work in the public sector. I plan to run manage my family's assets.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:09 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Again, Harper is not an economist. An MA in economics doesn't make one an economist any more than an MA in English Literature makes one a novelist.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:22 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
What did we do in BC to deserve Elizabeth May?

Never been to the Gulf Islands I see. Hippie central...

Why I'm Moving to British Columbia: Green Leader or How many affluent hippies does it take to push a camel through the eye of a needle?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:27 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Again, Harper is not an economist. An MA in economics doesn't make one an economist any more than an MA in English Literature makes one a novelist.

What makes an economist to you?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:38 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
What did we do in BC to deserve Elizabeth May? Born rich, brought up privileged, another lawyer.

$1:
He is the first prime minister since Lester B. Pearson not to have attended law school.

Plus, May is an American.

I'm just wondering here though... Why is education so threatening?

The intelligent leaders, they're all hated for that reason. While in any other
position, your education is honoured and demanded. But if you're a politician,
by god dammit, he shouldn't even have his High School degree, or else it'll seem
like he's showing us up.

I wouldn't mind if Harper went to Law School. Wouldn't change my opinion of him.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:13 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

$1:

Plus, May is an American.

I'm just wondering here though... Why is education so threatening?

The intelligent leaders, they're all hated for that reason. While in any other
position, your education is honoured and demanded. But if you're a politician,
by god dammit, he shouldn't even have his High School degree, or else it'll seem
like he's showing us up.

I wouldn't mind if Harper went to Law School. Wouldn't change my opinion of him.

First off, for me, it's not so much her education, so much as her silver spoon upbringing for May. I don't even have much against that--great for her--but I just don't think she has much of a grasp of the reality that most ordinary Canadians live in.

As for education--she's a lawyer. Sorry, I just think they are massively overrepresented in Parliament. I don't follow party lines on election day, and often my vote is based on which candidate is not a lawyer. They're plenty smart and all that, but they bring only a particular viewpoint and increase, in my opinion, adversarial politics.

And some people, frankly, are simply educated far beyond any possible usefulness.