Category: Showbiz
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2020-02-10 12:04:07

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:16 pm

Joker was blocked in China. It had an R rating. Yet it was a box office smash.

Could there be another theory as to why Birds of Prey and it's war on the "Patriarchy" bombed?

One the media would prefer not to tell you about...

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:55 pm

Is it worth watching the movie?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:58 pm

CharlesAnthony CharlesAnthony:

I just watched a video from a guy who has a very definite opinion about that (warning: lots of spoilers):

To be fair over 80% of the blue checkmark critics at Rotten tomatoes say they liked it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:34 am

Probably not. The likely reason it failed is because like most DC movies, it sucks.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:34 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Probably not.
That is what I would expect. I found the suicide Squad movie to be a bore but my brats enjoyed it.

I will probably end up seeing it anyways eventually and I will report back.
I watch movies now moreso to keep on top of the pre-programming rather than for base amusement.

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
The likely reason it failed is because like most DC movies, it sucks.
The Dark Knight series was decent --- at least for educational purposes.

$1:
but instead brought in just $33.3million in American theatres.
In that case, I must absolutely dig deep in my pockets and contribute to the cause!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:51 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
The Dark Knight series was decent --- at least for educational purposes.

They occasionally get ones that don't suck. But for every Aquaman, there is a Green Lantern.

And did you see the TV crossover "Crisis on Infinite Earths"? Wow, did that blow chunks.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:56 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
They occasionally get ones that don't suck. But for every Aquaman, there is a Green Lantern.
Thanks for the recommendations!

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
And did you see the TV crossover "Crisis on Infinite Earths"? Wow, did that blow chunks.
Nope but with a title like that, my guess is that the programming hides a lot of truth in plane site. I might have to get my ass to the nearest thrift shop and get me a tube just to see it. Can I get the show with rabbit ears?

Lou Ferrigno played the last super-hero show that I have ever watched on television.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:19 am

"Crisis" is the kind of story that no television show or film could do justice because of the level of the amount of characters (nearly every single DC character at the time) and level of destruction. The only good thing that I can say about the television adaption was that the meeting been Grant Gustin's Flash and Ezra Miller's Flash was a pleasant surprise.

As for Birds of Prey, my "Spidey-Sense" warned me to stay away after I saw the first trailer. Wonder Woman 1984 looks really awesome though, slightly better than Black Widow because Marvel Films are becoming to feel homogenous nowadays to the point where I don't feel like I'm missing anything after Endgame.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I highly recommend Shazam. It's a genuinely funny film (thanks to Zachary Levi) with a solid story and a lot of heart.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

This is true. The only DC movie that should be considered excellent since Christian Bale quit as Batman has been Joker. All the others have been average-to-mediocre in quality. Even Wonder Woman IMO was merely OK. I didn't like Aquaman all that much because it was too long, bloated, and garish. They've wasted a lot of good talent, especially Henry Cavill, with a very "meh" cinematic universe. Harley Quinn might be all-that to the genuine fans and nerds but to the casual outsider audience she's probably still too obscure a character to justify having as a head-liner in her own movie. No slag at Margot Robbie but that's just the way it is.

Most of the Marvel movies haven't been that great either. Except for Avengers (starring me :twisted: ) and several of the X-Men most of their films aren't worth going out of the way to watch twice. They're fun bubblegum but that's all. I know worshipping Stan Lee has always been a thing but not every character has to be dropping one-liners all the time. It's not a contest to see who can make the most yuks.

Scorcese was right. It's entertaining in it's own silly way but none of this should be mistaken for artistic cinema. Nerd-heads will explode in outrage at being told something to the contrary but, just like Star Wars, it's all just fluff and a time-killer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:42 am

Maybe a Thanos backstory movie starting our very own Thanos. It should be a snap to make.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:46 am

Child is born, gets raised by a weird chaos-family, fails at everything in life, quietly disappears without anyone noticing, and is soon forgotten. There, I just wrote the entire script for you. :twisted: :(

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:57 am

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
The only good thing that I can say about the television adaption was that the meeting been Grant Gustin's Flash and Ezra Miller's Flash was a pleasant surprise.

I saw many more than that! Burt Ward, Kristin Kreuk, Tom Welling . . .as crossovers go it was comprehensive. But as far as story and acting go . . .*ug!*.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:58 am

Thanos Thanos:
I know worshipping Stan Lee has always been a thing but not every character has to be dropping one-liners all the time. It's not a contest to see who can make the most yuks.

That reminds me of how Richard Donner treated Superman seriously when directing the film back in the seventies. Yes, there were the campier elements (mostly from Luthor and Otis), but both Donner and Christoper Reeve gave the Man of Steel the gravitas that still makes the film transcendent in my view. Very few contemporary superhero films even approach it these days. Certainly not many of Marvel's.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:14 am

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
Thanos Thanos:
I know worshipping Stan Lee has always been a thing but not every character has to be dropping one-liners all the time. It's not a contest to see who can make the most yuks.

That reminds me of how Richard Donner treated Superman seriously when directing the film back in the seventies. Yes, there were the campier elements (mostly from Luthor and Otis), but both Donner and Christoper Reeve gave the Man of Steel the gravitas that still makes the film transcendent in my view. Very few contemporary superhero films even approach it these days. Certainly not many of Marvel's.

"Miss TessMOCKERRRR!"

Don't go dissing Gene Hackman. He might be the best Lex Luthor of all.

Anyone is better than Kevin Spacey's Lex in the very forgettable "Superman Returns".