canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:25 pm

Title: Cdn soldier dies after falling into Afghan well; father says \'war is stupid\'
Category: Military
Posted By: Streaker
Date: 2008-06-10 13:49:26
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:25 pm

I have to agree with this Dad...its a never ending useless cant be won war.. end of story.....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:36 pm

The emotional response of a grieving parent? Possibly, but he's right, of course.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:46 pm

Of course war is stupid, but if you have a better idea to accomplish what has to be done then speak up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:48 pm

Leave 'em alone to sort it out for themselves.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:52 pm

Streaker Streaker:
Leave 'em alone to sort it out for themselves.

Leaving them alone wouldn't have shut down their terrorist training camp. That's not an option.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:59 pm

If outsiders had left them alone from the start, those terrorist camps would never have come into being.

That being said, I would at the very least like to see the Americans bugger the hell out of Iraq and send their 100 000+ troops to A-stan. Then I'd like to see Canadians come back home where they belong instead of dying for no purpose other than lining the pockets of Dubya's patrons.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:12 pm

Yet we need to yank our troops out of here so we can send them to Darfur where no one wants us to be. There, they can be shot at by both sides with no ability to retaliate while they get to witness genocide of biblical proportions.
Somehow that's more nobile than fighting so children can go to school.. :roll:

$1:
Capt. Snyder's mother, Anne Snyder, said her son was an adventurous high achiever who had aspired to join the military since before the age of 12.
"I can remember him saying to me he had to go to french immersion because he wouldn't get above the rank of major if he wasn't bilingual," she said from her Halifax home.
Snyder said her son felt protected, was never fearful, and believed his actions in Afghanistan were helping to move the country forward.
"If anything ever happens mom, don't feel badly for me, I'm where I'm supposed to be," she said, quoting her son in a recent phone conversation.

Typical of the bastard media. This is the same as that previous news bit where the family refused to talk to the news so they found some unrelated friend who gave them the anti-Afghan BS line they wanted.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:15 pm

Oh course war is stupid.......duh.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:08 pm

He didn't say war is stupid, though. He said the war in Afghanistan is stupid.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:37 pm

Well then he should head over there and see what they're doing. I had dinner last Saturday night with a kid that just finished two tours. He said not only are they doing great work but life for them is 10 times better than it was during his first tour. This also wasn't some kid who did his time cooking in a tent either. This kid spent some time crawling on his belly in a caves with nothing but a flashlight and pistol.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:42 pm

His mom was from Halifax. She received his wedding invitation Monday. Story below from my local paper

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1061286.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:30 pm

Streaker Streaker:

$1:
Capt. Snyder’s father, David, made headlines for publicly breaking ranks with the parents of the 85 Canadian soldiers who have died in Afghanistan.

"War is stupid. Everybody knows that. Everybody knows that. Well, no, they don’t. The politicians don’t know that," David Snyder told CTV in Penticton hours after learning his son was dead.

The soldier’s mother doesn’t share her ex-husband’s view of the Afghanistan mission.

That's from the latest newss clip. If you can't show something else, I'm going to guess you're spinning shit again.

He fell down a well during a night march. I've heard that NVG are very poor for depth perception. No one can say without being there but is it probable that the gear contributed to the accident?

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:40 pm

Streaker Streaker:

I took your word for it and didn't go back and look through the article......won't happen again. That was cheap........even for you.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:46 pm

Its an accident, it sucks, but he could of just as easily died falling into an open sewer back home. He died a soldier, and thus died doing a job that many of us can't (like me) or won't (like Streaker) do. He is a hero for risking his life, knowing the consequences.