Title: Canada announces plans to land a rover on the moon | CBC News
Category: Science
Posted By: Scape
Date: 2021-05-26 12:52:48
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:39 am

Like we were going to end Child Poverty by 2000?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:17 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Thanks, in 1996 or 1997 there was a big conference in Ottawa about ending child poverty by 2000. I attended as a representative of the Metro Toronto Children's Aid Society. I met the GG, Ken Dryden, Ray Romanow, David Dingwall and Buffy Ste-Marie, along with a gaggle of folks that I've forgotten. Very cool experience. But yeah, big promises amounting to little to no action or results.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:32 am

llama66 llama66:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Thanks, in 1996 or 1997 there was a big conference in Ottawa about ending child poverty by 2000. I attended as a representative of the Metro Toronto Children's Aid Society. I met the GG, Ken Dryden, Ray Romanow, David Dingwall and Buffy Ste-Marie, along with a gaggle of folks that I've forgotten. Very cool experience. But yeah, big promises amounting to little to no action or results.

Which is why I think they should live up to that promise before spending money to do things that have already been done. We are heavily involved in all the Mars recon missions. Why spend money re-inventing the wheel?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:05 am

Announcing plans is our special thing. We excel at that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:11 am

I would go for dirigibles on Venus instead!

AS for poverty: feed the homeless to the hungry. Two problems solved at once. You're welcome.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:20 pm

Awesome! I just saw this last night, and think that we can do this! More funding needs to be put into the Canadian Space Agency, and Canadian space projects in general! We've always been a leader in space technology, and there's no reason to stop!

:rock: :rock: :rock:

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:32 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Awesome! I just saw this last night, and think that we can do this! More funding needs to be put into the Canadian Space Agency, and Canadian space projects in general! We've always been a leader in space technology, and there's no reason to stop!

-J.

And what, exactly, would we learn about the Moon that others have not; and what we have not learned about being on Mars?

Money well wasted.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:17 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
And what, exactly, would we learn about the Moon that others have not; and what we have not learned about being on Mars?

Money well wasted.

Well, the moon is a big place, who knows what alien civilizations or artifacts may be buried up there? :lol:

I think investment in science is a win-win - look at the space race, technology invented to put men on the moon are the foundation of many crucial pieces of technology we now rely on.

Ideally, it shouldn't be do this or that, it should be everything that benefits our society, and investment in science AND the homeless & poor should both take place. Instead of cutting science, how about we cut some corporate welfare?

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
I would go for dirigibles on Venus instead!

Yes that is a cool idea.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:53 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
I think investment in science is a win-win - look at the space race, technology invented to put men on the moon are the foundation of many crucial pieces of technology we now rely on.

You know me. I am all about the science. I am also about putting money where it will do the most good. If the National Research Council wanted to explore Newtonian Gravity though a whole new research project, I would raise my eyebrow. We've explored gravity for hundreds of years. We aren't likely to learn anything new about it.

Now, getting children out of poverty and into STEM fields, that would be a good use of money. We are part of the new initiative to put a permanent base on the Moon. We will need people in 10 - 12 years to participate. Let's fix the problems we already have, before exploring possibilities that others already have.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:00 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Money well wasted.

Not even close. Space is the future, and we can't always depend on the Americans or someone else to explore it for us. I'd rather see money spent on space exploration than a lot of the ridiculous stuff it gets tossed for.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:23 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Money well wasted.

Not even close. Space is the future, and we can't always depend on the Americans or someone else to explore it for us. I'd rather see money spent on space exploration than a lot of the ridiculous stuff it gets tossed for.

-J.

Exploring what has already been explored is a government make work project, not the future.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:25 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
Announcing plans is our special thing. We excel at that.

"the world needs more Canada"

:roll:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:58 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Exploring what has already been explored is a government make work project, not the future.

Your opinion.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:58 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Your opinion.

-J.

Logic.

Lets mount an expedition to discover a new spice route from Spain to India! :roll:

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:

-J.

Money well wasted.

You never answered this question, because you know the answer leads to the same conclusion.