canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:32 am

Title: Alberta purges judicial vetting committee for former Tory cabinet ministers, political supporters
Category: Provincial Politics
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2020-06-15 08:28:22
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:32 am

How blatantly corrupt do you have to appear before Albertrans stop supporting you? Inquiring minds want to know.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:47 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
How blatantly corrupt do you have to appear before Albertrans stop supporting you? Inquiring minds want to know.

I don't recall the NDP complaining about this committee when they were in control, do you?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:38 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I don't recall the NDP complaining about this committee when they were in control, do you?

They also didn't dismiss the committee and staff it with their own partisans, like the UCP just did.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:41 am

Nice guy right here:

$1:
A lawyer appointed to a committee tasked with recommending new judges in Alberta has resigned after CBC inquired about his recent comparison of a future COVID-19 vaccine to Auschwitz tattoos and posting of a video that called Black Lives Matter a "leftist lie" controlled by a Jewish philanthropist.

Criminal defence lawyer Leighton Grey's numerous online posts included opinions that legal and anti-racism experts said should disqualify him from being on the Provincial Court Nominating Committee (PCNC).

"I do not accept this resignation decision lightly. Mr. Grey is a successful Indigenous lawyer with an exemplary record of service," Alberta Justice Minister Doug Schweitzer said in a statement Friday.

"I also do not make judgments on Mr. Grey's ability to carry out his professional duties in practising law."

CBC asked several legal and anti-racist experts to review Grey's social media posts and blogs, including Tom Engel, who chairs the policing committee for the Edmonton-based Criminal Trial Lawyers' Association in Alberta.

"My overall impression is that Mr. Grey is on the outer fringe of the right wing and just has no place on a committee ... that is in charge of screening," Engel said.

Bernie Farber, chair of the Canadian Anti-Hate Network, said he was "disturbed on the basis of just pure humanity" when reviewing Grey's commentaries and posts.

"Our expectation is that our government will go through a process to pick the people that are most fair, that are most equitable," Farber said. "The views posted in Mr. Grey's blog, in my view, are extreme."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.5618816