Title: Russia-Poland row over start of WW2 escalates
Category: History
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2019-12-31 13:12:06

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:28 pm

It did. The Russians need to suck it up and take responsibility for their part.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:43 pm

$1:
President Vladimir Putin says Poland and its allies are distorting history.

During a marathon news conference on 19 December, the Russian president said it was "totally unacceptable and inaccurate" to cast equal blame on Nazi leader Adolf Hitler and Soviet leader Joseph Stalin for the war's outbreak.

Yeah, I don't see Pooty-poot making any plans to hand back the territory the communist scumbags stole from Poland.

While we're at it those fuckers also need to hand back the territory they stole from Finland.

:evil:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:45 am

Go get them, tiger!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:00 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
$1:

During a marathon news conference on 19 December, the Russian president said it was "totally unacceptable and inaccurate" to cast equal blame on Nazi leader Adolf Hitler and Soviet leader Joseph Stalin for the war's outbreak.

Yeah, I don't see Pooty-poot making any plans to hand back the territory the communist scumbags stole from Poland.

While we're at it those fuckers also need to hand back the territory they stole from Finland.

The Finns made their choice in that war and paid the price.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:10 am

The Finns didn't have a choice except to side with Germany. And they played it correctly by engaging in defensive actions only and, like Spain, refused to become part of any collaborative offensive attack on any of the Reich's enemies. The Allies weren't going to help them because they knew Russia was next on Hitler's list and they obviously needed Russia far more as an ally than they would the Finns. If the Finns had laid down their arms too quickly their whole country would have been lost, not just a strip of land along the Soviet border, and when WW2 was over they would have ended up as another East Bloc basket case. Most importantly they'll forever have the honour from their small military successfully inflicting far worse casualties on the Communists than they took in return with the ass-whipping they laid on Stalin in the 1940/41 Winter War, even if they did eventually have to sign a treaty when they began to get overwhelmed by superior Russian numbers.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:11 am

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
$1:

The Finns made their choice in that war and paid the price.

You really need to study your history before you spout off with nonsense like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War

The fucking Russian communists invaded Finland and the only country willing to help the Finns were the Germans.

If I'd been the Finns I'd have been grateful for the help against Soviet domination regardless of who it came from.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:58 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
[

You really need to study your history before you spout off with nonsense like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War

The fucking Russian communists invaded Finland and the only country willing to help the Finns were the Germans.

If I'd been the Finns I'd have been grateful for the help against Soviet domination regardless of who it came from.

It’s not nonsense. I know about the previous war, ta very much. You don’t deny the nice Finns sided with the Nazis. That was a bad thing to do under any circumstances.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:16 pm

And them lying down without a fight and becoming just more slaves for the Soviets if they hadn't resisted would have been the superior thing to do morally? The Soviet Union, especially during the Stalin era, was as equally evil as the Third Reich. The death toll of their own citizens murdered by their own government is all the proof of that, period.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:21 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
It’s not nonsense. I know about the previous war, ta very much. You don’t deny the nice Finns sided with the Nazis. That was a bad thing to do under any circumstances.

And the Allies joined hands with the murderous goddamned Soviet communists who killed more of their own people than the Nazis did!!! [bonk] [bash]

The Finns did what they had to do to survive and maintain their sovereignty.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:56 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Sunnyways Sunnyways:

And the Allies joined hands with the murderous goddamned Soviet communists who killed more of their own people than the Nazis did!!! [bonk] [bash]

The Finns did what they had to do to survive and maintain their sovereignty.

The Nazis were kinda special in European history. I guess we are not going to agree on that.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:02 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
The Nazis were kinda special in European history. I guess we are not going to agree on that.

No, they weren't. Others held high score.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:55 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:

No, they were not 'special'.

They lost a war and the victors got to write the history.

Our propaganda is that we hated the Nazis because the Nazis killed a bunch of Jews.

But which Western country offered asylum to the Jews who tried to flee the Holocaust?

Here's the whole list:

$1:

And the bad old Nazis helped the Finns against the USSR so that makes the Finns bad people? You'd prefer the Finns had spent fifty years under Soviet domination? Apparently so.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:32 pm

The Finns had nothing to do with the Holocaust or any other sort of Jew-hating harassment or oppression of them either. Unlike any of the other German allies (Italy, Hungary, Romania, etc) they never transferred any Jews to the Reich to be murdered in the death camps.The Finns had kind of a military authoritarian state at the time but with the non-stop threat next door from Stalin that is kind of understandable and forgivable. The Finns were in the same position as Poland was in 1939, but they were under threat from the Soviets from the early 1930's all the way through to Stalin's death. It was a damn fine line they had to walk and they only survived due to first their resistance in the Winter War and then by skewing hard to true neutrality throughout the Cold War. That they were able to thrive later as a democracy with such a monster right next door to them is kind of a remarkable achievement on their part.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:07 pm

Thanos Thanos:
The Finns had nothing to do with the Holocaust or any other sort of Jew-hating harassment or oppression of them either. Unlike any of the other German allies (Italy, Hungary, Romania, etc) they never transferred any Jews to the Reich to be murdered in the death camps.The Finns had kind of a military authoritarian state at the time but with the non-stop threat next door from Stalin that is kind of understandable and forgivable. The Finns were in the same position as Poland was in 1939, but they were under threat from the Soviets from the early 1930's all the way through to Stalin's death. It was a damn fine line they had to walk and they only survived due to first their resistance in the Winter War and then by skewing hard to true neutrality throughout the Cold War. That they were able to thrive later as a democracy with such a monster right next door to them is kind of a remarkable achievement on their part.

PDT_Armataz_01_37 PDT_Armataz_01_37 PDT_Armataz_01_37 PDT_Armataz_01_37 PDT_Armataz_01_37 PDT_Armataz_01_37 PDT_Armataz_01_37