canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:52 am

Title: Nearly one-quarter of Canadians worried about how to pay for groceries: study
Category: lifestyle
Posted By: shockedcanadian
Date: 2016-11-14 05:50:09
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:52 am

I'm one of them.

Good luck Canada. Our allies will be reminded every day why they should not trust us (if they needed to hear it again from another source). Maybe those who can;t afford groceries will be expanded to those who don't believe in Rule of Law, Democracy and human dignity.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:23 pm

One thing I noticed this summer: 20 lbs. fresh peaches at the roadside stand by the orchard in our own province $12.
20 lbs. peaches from another country in the grocery stores, picked unripe, partially frozen in transit so they go rotten in the middle before they're soft $80
Bulk fresh Gala apples in huge containers at the grocery store 58c lb, Gala apples from God knows where & when on display shelf three feet away $1.99 lb

Prime rib roast from my freezer, purchased around Xmas last year $15.41 kg - prime rib roast on grocery shelf last week $38.99 kg

Bag of Hickory Stix chips at gas station $3.19 - $3.99, at supermarket $5.29

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:47 pm

herbie herbie:
One thing I noticed this summer: 20 lbs. fresh peaches at the roadside stand by the orchard in our own province $12.
20 lbs. peaches from another country in the grocery stores, picked unripe, partially frozen in transit so they go rotten in the middle before they're soft $80
Bulk fresh Gala apples in huge containers at the grocery store 58c lb, Gala apples from God knows where & when on display shelf three feet away $1.99 lb

Holy shitsnacks! 8O

Even at the Farmers Market, 10 pounds of fresh BC Peaches were $18! That's expensive, but not ridiculous like $80! I did buy some peaches at Costco, and they indeed went rotten before the pit could be dug out. :x Never buying that crap again.

Same with apples, Farmers Market BC Honeycrisp, 10 pounds for $12. But there are a lot of deals too. Full head of cabbage, $4. 10kg of carrots, $8.

I've been trying to keep meal costs under $5, and it is possible if you plan ahead.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:20 pm

I mean no offense to anyone but my posting history will show that I don't worry about grocery prices nor have I heard anyone in Sacramento worry about the price of food.

And my most recent purchase of bulk fruit was 20 pounds of Mutsu apples for US$8.00

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:41 pm

Even when the Cdn dollar was 69c in the 1980s we'd cross border shop. Lived in Langley and we'd pop over to Blaine or Bellingham and find salmon for 1/2 the price, butter for 1/4 the price, fresh shrimp for 1/10th the price.
That was when everyone of East Indian descent was coming back with trunks full of milk. So they did the Cdn thing. Limited and put even more duty on it. Eventually that and Loblaw's threats to bring in out of province milk lowered it a little.
We don't really hurt much, just two of us. Our bug problem is she used to be a camp cook on the drill rigs and can't scale down. Last night she cooked up a dozen pork chops, linguine alfredo (Hate that!) and 16 goddam spanakopita for TWO of us!

Dad's family was from Calabria, wine and pasta sauce 'don't come in' white....

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:30 pm

It's hard to remember to cut down and cook for two.

It takes work and planning to keep a tight food budget. Reading the fliers comparing all the stores figuring out if it is worth driving to different stores (gas and time). Cooking from scratch, planning leftovers are becoming a lost skill

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:53 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I mean no offense to anyone but my posting history will show that I don't worry about grocery prices nor have I heard anyone in Sacramento worry about the price of food.

And my most recent purchase of bulk fruit was 20 pounds of Mutsu apples for US$8.00

I suppose you don't like to associate with those of less economic status as you, or vice versa...

Saw cans of Campbell soups priced at $2.48 at IGA tonight. $4 for a small tub of peanut butter is a "great deal" now. Shit sucks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:02 pm

Kids are grown up and gone now, but a small pack of Corn Flakes is still twice as much as a huge box of Chocolate Coated Sugar Bombs.
Native friends all joke that good food was so expensive they grew up on Frosted Flakes with Cream Soda instead of milk...

It's over 175 kms to a Costco or WalMart from here. Saving for when the fish bus comes. Can't stomach the frozen Vietnamese Sewerfish they even use in the cafes here.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:11 pm

Many a dinner we've bought at the Dollar Tree, for when even Slave-Mart is too pricey for our blood...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:42 pm

herbie herbie:

It's over 175 kms to a Costco or WalMart from here.

Must be nice to have groceries so close. You're spoiled. Nearest Costco for us is 7 and a half hours away. Nearest Safeway/Sobeys, Superstore is a five hour drive.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:53 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:38 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
herbie herbie:

It's over 175 kms to a Costco or WalMart from here.

Must be nice to have groceries so close. You're spoiled. Nearest Costco for us is 7 and a half hours away. Nearest Safeway/Sobeys, Superstore is a five hour drive.

Damn man, no wonder everyone's drunk.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:58 pm

^ Wonder what your response would be if one of us evil nazi white guy types had made that comment.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:12 am

Seeing as I never really take you to task over your comments on that situation, I think you're a bit sensitive there, snowflake.