canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:25 pm

Scape Scape:

No doubt he’ll suffer a sudden and mysterious brain hemorrhage in the coming days…

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:58 pm

Captured Russian Msta-S 152mm self-propelled howitzer

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:10 am

A Russian philosopher known as 'Putin's brain' said Russia's retreat from Kyiv was only 'temporary'

$1:
"The Russian army is currently fighting the sovereign powers that impose a unipolar world," Dugin said, referring to countries allied with Ukraine, including the US. "We cannot lose this war. Otherwise, the whole world will turn into a large fire."

"It's certainly possible — indeed very likely — that Putin would like to take another stab at capturing Kyiv if he thinks at some future point that his military has a better chance of succeeding," Treisman told Insider. "But I wouldn't give too much credence to comments made to a Turkish newspaper by a nationalist 'philosopher,' and then picked up by Russian state journalists."

Despite repositioning Russian troops to the east, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg warned that Putin still could seek to capture all of Ukraine. Dugin reinforced that notion in the interview, saying Russia's brutal campaign in eastern Ukraine alone is "not a victory" for the country.

"Our soldiers will not return home until targets across the country have been destroyed and security has been established, or until Zelensky surrenders," Dugin said, per Yahoo News.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:15 am

Scape Scape:

I know you don't agree Scape, but I'm sure that statemnt (and NDP lack of support) is part of the reason why the budget had such an anemic increase in defence spending.

That is why I will never vote NDP federally - they are a party unwilling to see reality and based on this statement, they seem to see our armed forces as a bunch of boy scouts to rescue people stranded by floods or fight forest fires, not ensure our national sovereignty.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:15 am

Scape Scape:

Copy of "Battleship" in the background. :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:23 am

Scape Scape:

Perhaps it's because I haven't studied tactics enough, but I don't see how that makes any difference. If a tank is surrounded by troops, and it gets hit by some manpad, all that means is more casualties. [huh]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:25 am

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:04 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Scape Scape:

Perhaps it's because I haven't studied tactics enough, but I don't see how that makes any difference. If a tank is surrounded by troops, and it gets hit by some manpad, all that means is more casualties. [huh]

It's less that scenario, with the grunts being close in to the armour than the accompanying infantry are supposed to fan out on foot to the flanks, taking full advantage of any available natural ground cover, to flush out and destroy any missile crews that are waiting in ambush for the tanks to get in range. Helicopter support does the same thing too - use thermal vision systems to spot the ground troops waiting for the tanks and lay into them from above with machine guns.

At least that's the way it works in combined-ops tactics as performed by the US and Britain. Clearly the Russians are still at the glorious stage they achieved in 1943 with having their infantry riding the tanks going forward and not giving a shit at all about how much of their manpower gets annihilated at the same time the tank gets zapped by a projectile. Then again they're Russians so they might also legitimately believe that a barrier of soft flesh in the form of their infantrymen provides a valuable extra layer of stand-off armour that will prevent the incoming rocket or shell from even getting through to the tank at all. :roll:

If anyone wants to understand the true contempt the Russians have for ALL human life, especially the lives of their own soldiers, all you have to do is observe their battle tactics. Even when they actually manage to win a fight they still end up losing anywhere from two to five times the number of personnel than their enemy does. A good example happened in Syria a few years back. The bastards used some battalion of "heroic" mercenaries to attack US special forces who were fighting against ISIS. The Russians lost about 200 men in what was basically a fucked-up banzai charge to a US group numbering only a couple of dozen and the Americans walked away from it with barely any scratches.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:15 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
That is why I will never vote NDP federally - they are a party unwilling to see reality and based on this statement, they seem to see our armed forces as a bunch of boy scouts to rescue people stranded by floods or fight forest fires, not ensure our national sovereignty.

I am certain that rank and file NDP supporters see that as so. So many are so detached from reality and have been living in one of the world's greatest countries that they have no grasp as to what is required to defend it.

I don't reject the claim that these same people have an impact on policy and leadership in the same way that the CPC is detached from the idea of global warming and our responsibility to the planet. That said, the sediment of spending for spending sake SHOULD be criticized. Questions to the public should and must be asked:

What would 2% look like?

How would it be sustained?

Are we looking at a short term knee jerk reaction here and much like grocery shopping on an empty stomach it's a bad idea. We need a white paper and that paper needs input by stakeholders. That means the people who make the armaments', training facilities and maintain the trucks. We have seen what happens when we have a military that is all bling no basics like Russia has. They have NO IDEA how to maintain their own capital ships. A ship like Moskva should have NEVER been vulnerable to a few surface to surface missiles while being distracted by a UAV. This shows a break down in equipment, training and supplies. When we say make 2% happen and not care how that is done we are setting ourselves up for the same mistakes.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbsC5zD ... Sw&index=2

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:55 pm

$1:
Dozens of Canadian soldiers boarded a plane to Poland Friday for what their commander said would be an intense but gratifying mission to help Ukrainians fleeing Russian aggression.

The roughly 80 soldiers who took off from Edmonton and another 20 from Trenton, Ont., will offer humanitarian assistance at reception centres throughout Poland, said Maj. Ryan Pridmore, a company commander with 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

They, along with a Canadian medical unit, are to support the Polish Territorial Defence Force on a two-month mission.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/this-is-w ... -1.5863577

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:29 pm

If Trump had won in 2020 then Ukraine would have lost everything by now and NATO probably would have been dissolved as well:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/04 ... rewed.html

$1:
Counterfactuals always involve guessing. But one counterfactual proposition that seems increasingly obvious is that if Donald Trump had secured a second term in office, Ukraine would be losing the war right now.

Ukraine’s successful defense has required several factors, including the bravery and skill of its armed forces and continued Russian bungling. But it has also relied on a unified and energetic response from its western allies, which has included moral solidarity, economic sanctions, intelligence sharing, and a massive infusion of weapons. If Trump still occupied the Oval Office, none of these would be occurring.

A month ago, Trump’s close friend and supporter Sean Hannity tried repeatedly to coax him to call Vladimir Putin a bad person or admit his slaughter of civilians was wrong. Trump kept refusing. After Trump declined the first opportunity, Hannity offered another: “You came under some fire when you said that Vladimir Putin is very smart. I think I know you a little bit better than most people in the media, and I think you also recognize he’s evil, do you not?”

After Trump declined again and boasted of his closeness with Putin, Hannity tried suggesting Russia was an “enemy” Trump was strategically keeping close. Trump declined that opportunity, too, saying, “I got along with these people. I got along with them well.”

Last night, Hannity tried again. Referring back to their previous conversation, he asked Trump if Russia’s invasion was “evil.” Trump declined, instead ranting about the weakness of NATO: “I think in a hundred years, people are gonna look back and they’re going to say, ‘How did we stand back, and NATO stand back?’ — which, in many ways, I’ve called a paper tiger.” He did not concede Russia was morally wrong to invade.

Russia hawks within the Republican Party have tried to cast Trump as the true Russia hawk, and they have turned his obsessive attacks on NATO into evidence he was cleverly trying to strengthen the alliance all along by prodding fellow members to increase their defense spending.

His rant last night ought to dispel that notion. NATO allies have increased their military spending in response to Russia’s invasion. But rather than acknowledge this success — the outcome he supposedly wants — Trump continued to bash them as worthless leeches.

What truly gave the game away was when Trump segued to his economic grievances with western Europe. “And then they take advantage of us on trade,” he ranted to Hannity, revising his long-standing claim that western Europe is the true enemy of the American people (“Every bit as bad as China”). It is beyond obvious that Trump’s insults to NATO allies were not intended to strengthen their commitment but a bad-faith demand put forward as a pretext for the United States to abandon the alliance altogether. (Several of Trump’s former national security advisers have said Trump would have done so in a second term, and the loss of this expected outcome is the best explanation of why Putin decided to invade Ukraine now.)

In private, Trump has repeatedly expressed his existential loathing for Ukraine, which he has described as “corrupt” — an epithet he does not use for more corrupt states like Russia — and not a real country, insisting that its eastern regions properly belong to Russia. The public analog of those beliefs can be seen in the votes of the Republican Party’s anti-Ukraine wing in Congress, which has voted against sanctions on Russia and support for NATO.

That wing, not coincidentally, comprises the faction of the party that genuinely shares his foreign-policy outlook. If you want to imagine a Trumpian response to the invasion, merely project the voting record of the America First wing onto the executive branch.

The sanctions put together by the Biden administration would almost certainly not exist. There would likely be little or no military assistance or intelligence sharing. NATO might not exist at all. And rather than a president who goes off script with an overly aggressive condemnation of Putin’s culpability, we would have a president who does the opposite.

Trump has never been willing to even state clearly Putin’s most heinous acts. When Russia poisoned Alexei Navalny, a crime condemned across the globe, Trump repeatedly refused to admit Putin had anything to do with it, and reporters eventually gave up asking him about it. (Trump still hasn’t admitted Putin’s culpability.) Trump’s priorities would be to ensure cheap gasoline and keep Ukrainian refugees out of the country.

Trump’s anger at the “deep state” was not mere paranoia. The bureaucracy often thwarted his goals — most notably around Ukraine, where his efforts to withhold military aid and extort Volodymyr Zelensky into smearing Joe Biden ultimately petered out. But a reelected, or reinstalled, President Trump would have a much freer hand. Had 44,000 votes in Georgia, Arizona, and Wisconsin swung the other way, Zelensky would probably at this moment be in exile, in a Russian prison, or dead.

Ukraine is going through hell right now. But it could have been much worse. If Trump had won then Ukraine probably wouldn't even exist right now, and Putin would be well on his way to repeating what he's already done there to Poland and the Baltics. And Ukraine could end up in Russia's cross-hairs again later on this decade if Trump gets re-elected in 2024.

I'll say it openly right now. If someone had shot and killed Donald Trump sometime between the day he was born to the day he announced in 2015 that he was running for POTUS the entire world would be a much better place for it. That evil son of a bitch is nothing but an agent of chaos who deliberately ruins everything he touches.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6389 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 141  142  143  144  145  146  147 ... 426  Next